FATAL CROC ATTACKS IN AUSTRALIA SINCE THE SPECIES BECAME PROTECTED IN 1971:
* NT: 23 fatal; 50 non-fatal
* Qld: 9 fatal; 19 non-fatal
* WA: 2 fatal; 12 non-fatal
10 MOST RECENT FATAL CROC ATTACKS IN AUSTRALIA:
* Jan 2017 - NT. Gunbalanya man, 47, killed by a 3.3m croc after wading into the notorious Cahills Crossing near Kakadu National Park
* Jun 2016 - Qld. Cindy Waldron, 46, killed by a croc during a late night dip at a beach north of Cairns
* Jan 2014 - NT. Boy, 12, snatched by a croc while swimming at a billabong in Kakadu on Australia Day
* Jun 2014. NT. Fisherman Bill Scott, 62, was emptying a bucket on his boat when a 4.7m crocodile leapt up and snatched him, killing him in front of his family
* Aug 2014 - NT. Man, 22, disappeared on the Tiwi Islands, police found biological remains in the stomach of a croc shot shortly afterwards
* Aug 2014 - Vietnamese fisherman, 57, killed by albino-headed crocodile known as Michael Jackson while fishing at Adelaide River
* Aug 2013 - NT. Sean Cole, 26, taken by a 4.7m crocodile while racing another man across Mary River as a dare.
* Dec 2012 - NT. Boy, 9, snatched while swimming at a waterhole at the Gumarrirnbang outstation.
* Nov 2012 - NT. Girl, 7, killed by a 3m croc while swimming at Manggabor Creek, Gumarrirnbang Outstation.
* Dec 2011 - Qld. Man, 49, killed while spear-fishing in Cairncross Islands.
See a pattern they were all in or around water that is know to have crocs living in the area
From 2000 to 2013, horses were responsible for 74 deaths.